Yes, I'm passionate about audiobooks. I believe every single book should be available in audio, and here's why:
- Audiobooks increase reading time, sometimes so significantly that a non-reader becomes a voracious reader.
- They allow you to enrich yourself with books while you're working with your hands, exercising, or driving.
- They help people with learning differences to read more easily.
- They're an excellent way to re-read your favorite books, or to hear another reader's interpretation of the story.
- They're darned fun—didn't you love being read to as a child? Why should that end when you're an adult?
If you're an author whose work was not picked up in audio, I encourage you to ask your publisher to revert the sound rights to you (if you sold them), in order to produce your own audiobook. You can accomplish it relatively easily through ACX, especially if you hire an experienced narrator like Julia, or you can approach an independent producer (for example, Ideal Audiobooks) and hand the reins over to them.